Monday 24 September 2007

Hot Topic - Pregnancy Comparisons

A question that was asked to me today?
Don't you just hate it when another girl at work or friend that's pregnant is compared to you? Have you ever had someone ask when you're due to comment how big you are?

Trust me I know this all to well. I had these in both of my pregnancies with my boys. My boys were not small bubs either both were over 8lbs. But the fact was I couldn't shake the negative comments directed at me and my pregnant body. I was compared to someone with a petite body so it made me look like I had a mutant child growing inside of me with 2 heads and 6 legs or something.
I became self conscious of pregnant body. I really never thought I would get to that. I wanted to enjoy my pregnancies, not be compared or sized up to others. I hadn't had my child and I was getting compared to other mum's to be. And we wonder why we start comparing babies after that. We are lead to believe from the start that we are doing something wrong because we don't compare up to others expectations. I know this is so silly to believe, but why do we still listen to what others say that really have no right to judge?
Something to ask yourself I think about why you care about what others think or say.
I guess we are just trying to fit in, to be liked, to be asked questions or talk about baby things. To create a friend.
I thought about this a while when pregnant with Mitchell. I guess the underlying factor was to create a friend as friends talk about good things. And it doesn't matter whether you know the person well or not, we all like to be treated the same whether we are pregnant or skinny or small or big.

A person close to me asked me today. How did I cope being compared to other pregnant ladies and comments made how big I was.
Well to begin with it hurt a lot. I felt that maybe something was wrong with me or my baby to get such negative comments. It was hard to get out of the mindset of being upset and annoyed.
I had to think about shifting the hurt or anger I felt. So I came up with some comments to say back. But before I did this I had to accept myself, my size in the stage of pregnancy I was at, and believe in what my response is to the person.

Some of the things I said were of course said in the nicest possible way without being rude:

"Thankyou for noting that I have a gorgeous pregnant body, I love my body just the way it is thanks"

"At least I am healthy"

" hmmm I think its a girl"

" hmmm I think its a boy"

" I am sorry you feel that way, I love being pregnant"

" Thanks, My Doctor says I am a healthy size for my baby"

I just repeated a few of these and the person got the message that really I wasn't fazed at my size. That there was nothing wrong with my size and that I was healthy and loved my baby body.
I think the most important factor is to love your pregnant body. 'You're not a cow or a beached whale or preschool bus carrying all the kiddies. You're in fact something far more special than any of those. You're going to be a Mum whether it be the first time or 2nd, 3rd etc... you are still special. You are carrying a mircle of your love and devotion to create your own family. Let not others judge you for creating a mircle within yourself. You should be full of pride with every kick you feel.

Many generations have probably past the person that made the comment or hasn't had kids for awhile or never had any at all.
You are unique, your pregnancy and baby are unique.

Keep your chin up, I know its hard. But think of ways why you love your pregnant body and tell the person that either compared you or left the unfavourable comment. If you are fine with who you are and how your pregnancy is going no one else should matter but your own Doctor observing your pregnancy.

Take Care to all those who are pregnant and are due to have your gorgeous babies in your arms soon. Remember You are Special let no one knock you off your perch, you have a right to glow!

Cheers

Lea
xxx

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Wow Lea, that was heartfelt, but fantastic, well said. My littlest sister is pregnant and she is just starting to get all of that at the moment, she is currently 20 weeks. In fact she was around today for her 20 week photos, go check out my blog, I think she is gorgeous!!!!
Oh and on another note, I won't be able to make it to your Stamping Party, maybe next time. Thanks for getting back to me though.
Leanne

Anonymous said...

So true unfortunately. You won't believe the comments I got when I was pregnant. I couldn't even eat a salad sandwich without people making comments. Seems like as soon as someone becomes pregnant they're fair game for touching and making comments.

Maria Van-Oss said...

Hi Lea I am with you I use to come up with answers too. You are pregnant you dont have an illness which some people treat you like you have.
BTW you have been tagged. Love Maria (Blumars)